Oct 27, 2010

I missed being a part of the test squad: Gambhir

Indian opening batsman Gautam Gambhir has said that he is happy with his fitness and cannot wait to start batting again. Gambhir's show has been hampered by knee problems, which also saw him sit out Tests against Sri Lanka and Australia. The left-hander has been named in India's Test team against New Zealand and he will be eager to prove his critics wrong and get back to rhythm.

"It's important to get back into the rhythm," Gambhir told the Indian Express in an interview. "I have increased my batting time at the nets and am happy with my fitness."

"I watched every bit of the Visakhapatnam game and I missed being part of the team. To be frank, missing out on a game after being dropped feels bad but to sit out with injury and watch other people play feels even worse."

Gambhir admitted that it will be a challenge for him to get into groove after a long break. "When you go out to bat in a match after a long break, you just try to test if you still have the old touch. When you come back from a break, you need time to get used to things around you. If you look, I haven't played much in the last three months. It's a challenge that I am now looking forward to meet."

He added that he was focused on the World Cup and wants to use the upcoming series against the New Zealand and the Proteas to provide him with the impetus to play at the peak in the WC. "It is not just about playing the World Cup but it's about being in good form and being absolutely fit. I plan to build on it from this Kiwis series, then to South Africa series and so on."

No comments:

Post a Comment